Friday, October 1, 2010

week one.

my tree on the hill

Week number one is coming to a close. As I reflect on the events it has held, I can do nothing but form a large grin on my face. I said goodbye to my father last Saturday and teared up as he drove away from the castle, but as I turned around and looked out across the English countryside, sheep grazing and hills rolling, I wiped the single tear from my face and thanked the Lord that I was there. My roommates are wonderful. God has truly blessed us with a fantastic room of girls, all a bit silly, yet yearning to learn more about our Father’s Kingdom. Lectures began and I already am overwhelmed with information that I have never been exposed to before. But no worries, I’m loving it. Every bit of knowledge has opened new gates along the road of faith that I am walking on. I also found an abundance of people to meet; people representing 16 different countries around the world. And although every bit of free time I get, I want to head to the main lounge and talk with some of them, I still have made time for quiet time with my Lord. The “Quiet Lounge” has been good to me, surrounding me with old-English style wallpaper, a fire place, and large castle windows. But I have even more so enjoyed walking among this countryside every day. I walk down to a pond, saying “hello” to the frequent sheep I pass, and I sit on the same rock that my sister called her quiet place 2 years ago. There is a comfort in knowing that she talked to God there as well. But on the sunny, and not so muddy, days, I walk a bit farther to what I refer to as “The Alice Tree”. My roommate, Kat, and I discovered it and it delightfully reminds us of Alice in Wonderland. But this tree, which stands alone on the top of a high hill, will be my special place for the next 9 months. From under this tree, I can see for miles. I can see the castle surrounded by trees, the Lake District in the distance, and hundreds of sheep grazing the bright green fields. From under this tree, I look across the countryside at God’s beautiful creation, His absolutely perfect masterpiece. The only piece of artwork ever created perfectly by its artist. As I run down the hill towards the castle again, I remind myself of one thing....the best year of my life is just beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment