Sunday, November 7, 2010

edinburgh, scotland





Halloween in Edinburgh, Scotland was definitely an unforgettable experience. Said to be one of the most haunted cities in the world, Edinburgh was full of culture all weekend long. My weekend began with a visit to the old Edinburgh Castle. Inside were many canons, armors, swords, and dungeons. Later in the day, I visited the Elephant House, the famous cafe where J.K. Rowling wrote the first books of the “Harry Potter” series. There I enjoyed a delicious Italian hot chocolate smothered in pink marshmallows and whipped cream. The following day, I climbed up the tallest hill in the area with a large group of my friends from Capernwray. Although the hike was long, and although I was not wearing the proper footwear, the climb was beyond worth it. The view was incredible, and the weather was good to us, giving us blue skies and a slight breeze. That night was Halloween night and we walked the town and admired the fun, and quite interesting, costumes of the locals. An annual zombie walk, which takes place in a different city in the UK every year, was held in Edinburgh this year. We were pleasantly surprised to see a hundred or so zombies walking the streets. It was overall a very enjoyable weekend, but I was happy to be back at my dear Capernwray.

No comments:

Post a Comment